Pet Weight Management in Yorkville, IL
Take a look at some of the graduates from our Weight Management Program!
How the Weight Management Program Works
Pet obesity has been getting a lot of attention lately. Probably because it is estimated that 35-60% of all pets are overweight or obese. The reasons for obesity in pets vary, but the main causes are:
- Overfeeding, including too many snacks or feeding pets table scraps
- Lack of exercise
- Underlying medical condition(s)
Obesity in cats and dogs can cause a wide range of health issues including:
- Arthritis and other joint disorders
- Heart Disease
- Skin Problems
- Gastrointestinal disorders
Our program starts with an examination to help us determine the general overall health of your pet and to recommend a target weight goal. After the exam, participants receive a weight management kit. It includes an informational flyer on the program, the causes and potentially dangerous consequences of obesity in pets, a brochure explaining the benefits of a high-quality weight reduction food, a diet and exercise plan, a weight loss daily log and recommendations on healthy, low calorie treats.
- A critical component of the program is exercise. We can help develop a customized exercise program for your pet.
- The next step is choosing the right restricted calorie food for your pet’s needs.
- Proper food portioning is important to maintain a healthy weight for your pet. We will help you determine the appropriate amount of food your pet should be fed and how often, as well as make recommendations on healthy treats.
- Most important is consistency – stick to the plan – the proper reduced calorie food, food portioning, healthy, low-calorie treats and exercise will increase the length and quality of your pet’s life!
- Once we have a customized plan in place for your pet, you come back for a weigh-in approximately one month after your pet begins the recommended reduced calorie food. Thereafter, bi-monthly weigh-ins take place at your convenience until your pet reaches his or her weight goal. In between weigh-ins, our Weight Management Program manager will contact you to ensure everything is going well and to see if you have questions or concerns regarding your pet’s weight loss. Once your pet has reached his or her weight goal, one of our Doctors will make a recommendation on a food to help maintain your pet’s weight.
Owners of pets in the program report seeing these positive changes:
- Pets are more active
- Owners see a positive change in attitude/behavior of the pet
- Owners recognize the benefits of proper feeding and exercise for their pets.
Weight Management Services Near You
Owners are most grateful for the opportunity to increase the length and quality of life of their pets. If you are wondering if your pet could benefit from our program, give us a call. We are happy to answer any questions you may have or schedule your pet for an exam!
Explore Our Complete List of Veterinary Services in Yorkville, IL
Call us or schedule an appointment online.
Meet with a doctor for an initial exam.
Put a plan together for your pet.